The Man Shed
The Man Shed Blog was created after a real place in South Florida - where men go to get away from the wives and girlfriends. It is really a shed in someone's backyard full of manly things like a Fridge/Freezer, TV's, A Stereo, A Couch, A Keg and Sexy Pin-Up Pictures of Women. There are even Flashing Overhead Lights for those times when the music just isn't enough!

All men are welcome to enter these premises for a dose of Humor, Relationship Advice, Sexy Photos and much more....

We are all 'Manly Men' here who gather for a divine purpose - To sit back, slide one hand in our pants (like Al Bundy), and breath a sigh of relief. Can you do this? If so, use one of our subscription links, and join The Man Shed!

The Only Way To End It:

"Sometimes it only takes a few dates to realize she’s not right for you, but those few dates mean you owe her some kind of gesture."
Nobody likes being blown off. Over the course of my illustrious dating career, I have been broken up with, rejected before I could open my mouth and dismissed outright. You can’t expect to get out there and not take some hits -- they’re par for the course. I’m not here to lament those ego blows we take when we stick our necks out to meet someone new. I’m talking about the unexpected hits we take when we’ve met a woman, things are progressing and, suddenly, without warning, we’re checking to see if our phones are still working. There’s a brief period of denial followed by a numbing disbelief. Wasn’t it going well? What the hell happened?

I have a deep resentment for the unexplained-radio-silence move. For that reason, I do everything I can to be sensitive to women I decide not to pursue after the initial stage of courtship. Breaking up with someone after only a few dates is a little bit like firing someone you haven’t hired yet. It’s awkward, it feels almost unnecessary -- but it’s a situation that is virtually inevitable if you’re single. Sometimes it only takes a few dates to realize she’s not right for you, but those few dates mean you owe her some kind of gesture. I have been in many discussions with friends about what our responsibility is at this stage, and I always come back to a basic rule: Do unto others as you would have done to you. Silence is the easy way out, but it may come back to haunt you.

As always, passivity is the worst course of action. I have tested this theory a number of ways in my life: standing at the back of a line to a club hoping to get in (had a great night reading wall graffiti), ignoring a problem at work (spent weekends trying to repair the damage instead of waiting in line at clubs) and, of course, blowing off a young lady after a few dates by not returning calls or texts (confronted while in line at the club in front of others). We know there are ways to manage these situations, but we too often choose to sit back and hope for the best. This is called the path of least resistance.

You may think you’re strategically cutting your losses when you launch “operation ignore her existence,” but this swiftly changes when she decides to launch “operation not-so-fast-buddy.” By this point you have relinquished control and have no way of predicting the volatility that may follow. You have no way of knowing if she is going to decide to call you an asshole in front of your new date when you bump in to her again. All you had to do was grab the wheel, and you could have steered the ship into calmer waters.

I found myself on a fourth date some years back. Each night out was an escalation of things, both sexually and, to a certain extent, in terms of our personal connection. But I was checked out. She was great, but I wasn’t looking for someone to introduce to my mother. True, maybe I could have let this nugget of information slip before we landed on my futon on that last date, but I was curious to see if the sexual chemistry would change the dynamic and maybe increase my level of interest. Also, I wanted to have sex. We did. It didn’t.

Many male friends suggested I slink quietly into the background and do what many refer to as the “slow fade-out.” But then it occurred to me that I would really hate if that was done to me. Actually, it occurred to me that it had happened to me in the not too distant past, and it had left me reeling. So when I was confronted with the shoe being on the other foot, I decided to go against the grain of my male posse and take an original approach.


"Much like you would never burn a bridge with a client, it is never worthwhile to leave a woman with a poor opinion of you."
I told her the truth. I told her that we had fun, but I am not in the same place and that we should both move on. She thanked me for my honesty and we parted ways as well as I could have expected. I felt better and she got the honesty she deserved. By taking the initiative, I avoided finding myself again with vodka and cranberry juice dripping down my face after a spiteful former lover expressed her disapproval of my complete avoidance tactic. True story. The fact is, there was a benefit to taking control. I treated her with common courtesy, and that will make it easy to meet her gaze should we run into each other.

Much like you would never burn a bridge with a client, it is never worthwhile to leave a woman with a poor opinion of you. The world is a small place, and we never know where mishandling a relationship can come back and bite us. Reputation is a powerful thing, and given how easily people can get in touch via social media, it can precede you more easily than ever. If your particular reputation starts involving numerous incidents of abandonment without explanation, you’re in for some awkward conversations. Believe it.

The flip side to this is that a good reputation can start having some real positive effects on your dating life. If it didn’t work with the girl you met at that party, but you ended things with class and a dose of respect, that same girl may know other girls you are interested in pursuing. Now when she is asked about you, much as she may want to hang you out to dry, she’ll probably admit you’re a stand-up guy. “Sure, he ended it, but he wasn’t a jerk about it. Maybe you guys will be a better fit” is much better than, “He’s an asshole. He just completely blew me off.” People talk, and if you travel in a relatively small social circle, it is important to manage these awkward endings with as much decency as possible.

It’s worth mentioning before I sign off that I’m talking specifically about relationships that haven’t turned serious yet. Breaking up from a committed relationship obviously requires a different approach. But making an exit before things get serious can only be handled one way. You need to be straightforward. You need to make it clear that you are happy to have tried, but are moving on. At the very least, she will have to respect that, and, at most, she will speak highly of you for doing so. Everyone deserves closure. Think of it as a favor to your future self.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Quit Screwing Around - Buy Her Something Nice!

Halloween Costumes from HalloweenAndCostumes.com

Get Rid Of That Old Budweiser T-Shirt !!

Macho Labels

About Men Active Lifestyle Advice for Men Amy Hartzler Anal Anal Sex Annoying a Woman Appearance Ask Us Assholes Attracting Women Average Guys Avril Lavigne Bad Treatment Bar Scene Bartenders Bathrooms Beer Being a Man Being Cool Best Friends Bettering Your Life Body Language Bra Removal Breaking The Ice Breaking Up Britney Spears Catehrine Zeta Jones Cheating Chicks Common Dating Mistakes Competing Competition Confidence Consequences Conversations Cures Daddy Issues datin Dating Dating Coworkers David DeAngelo Dieting Diets DILF Dining Out Dirty Sex Discipline Divorce Divorce Tips Do's and Dont's Drugs Eating Education Erotic Erotic Net Worth Evanescence Excercising Facebook Famous Quotes Fat Women Female Facts Female Friends Fetishes Gemma Atkinson Genies Gentleman's Clubs Gifts Girl Friends Girl Robin Girlfriends Goal Oriented Gold-diggers Grooming Haircuts Hangovers Health Issues Healthy Relationships Heavy Girls Herpes Hiding The Remote Hobbies Hot Girls Hot Women How To Talk To Women How To Treat A Woman Humor I Love You Idiots Impress Your Woman Jealousy Jokes Karolina Kurkova Killing The Mood Knowing Your Woman Lady BoJana Languages Large Penis Life Skills Lindsay Lohan Listening Skills Lusting Machismo Manly Men Marriage Masculinity Masturbation Meeting Women Men Quotes Men's Advice Men's Advicname Men's Definitions Men's Furniture Men's Health Men's Pleasure Men's Stuff MILF Moods MySpace Myths Nagging Ninjas Office Romances Older Women Online Dating Open Relationships Organization Orgasms Pamela Anderson Penis Size Persuasion Physical Fitness Pickup Women Players Playing The Field Promiscuous Women Pros and Cons Q and A Real Men Relationships Respect Role Models Sam Adams Scary Sex Secret Affections Seducing Women Seduction Self Enjoyment Self-Presentation Sense of Humor Sensitivity Sex Sex Appeal Sex Definitions Sex Fantasies Sex Terminology Sex Terms Sexual Competence Sexual Positions Sexuality Sexy Backgrounds Sexy Legs Sexy Photos Shaving Single Fathers Single Mothers Single Parents Sluts Small Penis Social Networking Social Skills STD's Strip Clubs Strippers Striptease Swingers Taking Showers Talking to the Woman The Lighter Side Threesomes Tiger Woods Top 10 Translations Treated Like a Child Understanding Men Understanding Women Unhealthy Relationships Valentine's Day Videos. What Men Want Whores Wives Women Women Who Sleep Around Women's Issues Younger Women
 

©2010 The Man Shed™| Blog Design by TNB